January 10, 2022Add to Cart
History is rich with intrigue and exciting tales of fibulae and the people who wore them throughout the years. Fibulae were used by kings to designate their status and appointees. If you watched Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings you will have seen many beautiful examples. Fibulae were passed from parent to child, and family to family as precious tokens of love and status. You will be able to tell your own story by creating at least 3 wearable fibulas using found objects, wire, and beads that express their own unique style and creativity. Participants will be using hammers and pliers to shape and form the metal using traditional metalsmithing techniques. All tools will be provided to you to use in class.
Discipline: Metalsmithing Techniques
Skill level: All Levels
Workshop cost: Member $65, Non-member $90
Kit cost: $25
- two gauges of metal (copper, brass, aluminum, and silver)
- polishing materials
- some beads
Supplies to bring to class:
Pencil, paper, beads, rusty bottle caps, colored pencils, broken vintage jewelry, found objects, feathers, etc.
Instructor Name: Cathi Rivera
Date: Monday, January 10, 2022
Time: 9:30am- 4:30pm EST
Venue: Pinecrest Gardens, 11100 Red Road, Pinecrest 33156
Note: Use the Pinecrest Gardens main entrance – we cannot enter from the historical building. Parking will be by the main entrance.
Lunch: Bring your lunch. Coffee is available to purchase onsite.Add to Cart
Cathi Rivera developed and wrote Florida Middle School Competency-Based Art Curriculum. She taught 2D and 3D art in public and private schools, to art educators at conferences and seminars in New York and Florida for 41 years. She has. taught for the Arsht Center’s Learning Through the Arts Program since 2017, and currently for the Arsht Center’s Pour Your Art Out.
Cathi was awarded Glades Middle Teacher of the Year: 2006 & 2019, FAEA (state) Middle School Educator: 2008, FAEA (state) Teacher of the Year: 2016, NAEA (national) South Eastern USA Art Star Award: 2017, DAEA (Miami-Dade Country) Middle Educator: 2007, DAEA (Miami-Dade Country) Advocacy Award: 2019, and NAEA (state) Florida’s Distinguished Artist Award: 2019.
Cathi is an award-winning metalsmith who has designed and exhibited silver, fused glass, and pearl art to wear. She is currently a docent for the Lowe Art Museum, President of the South Florida Jewelry Arts Guild, and exhibits her own jewelry designs at the Gallery of Light, The Curious Collector, and other venues. Her work is in many private collections around the world.
Visit her website: www.flowingwithpearls.com
Facebook page: @FlowingWithPearls
Instagram page: #flowingwithpearls
WORKSHOP CANCELLATION POLICY
- Payment is due in full at time of registration. If you must cancel a class, please notify us at email@example.com as early as possible.
- Cancellations received more than 14 days before the starting day of a class will receive a full refund LESS a $25.00 cancellation fee.
- Cancellations received 7 – 13 days before the starting day of a class will receive a 50% refund.
- No refunds are given for cancellations received less than 7 days before the start date of a class. In the event of no refund, students will receive instructors’ hand-outs and/or instructions and have the option to purchase the instructor’s class kit.